Sunday

Happy Easter ~ I Heart Macro

Lori over at Waterstone Jewelry hosts I heart macro/closeups every Sunday. This being Easter Sunday Ithought it fitting to share my Ukrainian eggs.  Hop on over and see what everyone else is sharing!


Every year I tell myself I am going to get out my kistkas and beeswax and make up a new batch of dyes and create some Ukrainian eggs for Easter/ Christmas and as i can see from the dates on these eggs, I have failed in that mission for a lot of years now. The latest date I can find on any of these is 1997!! Bad me!


I used to love to make these each year with the kids who were fairly young at the time. My son't first egg was when he was 4 and my daughter 9.

I went into the elementary school and taught my sons' second grade class to make these, yeah, what was I thinking, letting 7 year olds handle a traditional kistka with their own flame! But believe it or not, we only had one little girl get her finger burned and she was fooling around at the time.

I also taught my daughters' 5th grade classes, several art teachers and then ventured into the high school with newer kistkas ,for my children and nephews when they got there. I was pleasantly surprised to see the enthusiasm in the high school.

I asked my husband when I took these out, "How is it possible I had so much time back then to do all of this stuff and can't find the time now?" His wise reply, "You didn't have internet back then". So true. I guess it's no coincidence that we got internet around here in 1998 and the last date on the eggs is 1997!

I vow to do better. I may have missed Easter, but there's alway hope for Christmas! ( you can see in the pictures some have ornament caps attached for hanging on a tree)
Better get started now!
For anyone interested in learning this craft, I purchase all my supplies here. They also have a wonderful selection of cookbooks and books for the children.
This kit is a great starting point and has everything you'll need to make beautiful eggs.
P.S. I just found that they now offer an instructional DVD that would be a great place to start!


No comments:

Post a Comment